Abuja - The United Kingdom Minister for Africa, Mark Simmonds, condemned the ongoing acts of terrorism and expressed support for Nigeria following an attack on a shopping mall in Abuja earlier this week.
“I am deeply concerned by yesterday’s (Wednesday’s) bombing in Abuja, the third since April. We condemn all acts of terrorism in the strongest terms. Terrorism has brought untold misery to innocent Nigerians of all faiths and backgrounds.
"We will stand with the Nigerian authorities as they seek to bring the perpetrators of this appalling crime to justice,” he said in a statement made available to this publication.
Meanwhile, he welcomed further blacklisting of the terror group and its leader, whose acts have led to the loss of thousands of lives in the past five years.
“The listing of Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau and the terrorist organisation Ansaru at the UN demonstrates the commitment of the international community to stand by the people of Nigeria as they confront the scourge of terrorism.”
Simmonds said participants at the London Ministerial on Security in Northern Nigeria earlier this month committed to securing these listings.
“The UK co-sponsored the listings, a sign of our commitment to defeating terrorism.”
- CAJ News
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.