Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


UN condemns escalating attacks by Boko Haram

20 January 2015, 07:04

United Nations — The U.N. Security Council condemned the recent escalation of attacks by Boko Haram on Monday, in its first formal reaction to the activities of the extremist group that seized the world's attention last year with the kidnapping of 276 schoolgirls.

In a presidential statement approved by all 15 members, the council expressed deep concern that Boko Haram's activities are undermining peace and stability in central and west Africa.

The statement was sponsored by Nigeria, which had been reluctant to have the council discuss the Islamic militant group despite being a member of the Security Council.

The Security Council has previously responded to specific terrorist acts by Boko Haram, including the abduction of 276 schoolgirls in Chibok last April, with press statements that do not become part of its official record. This was the first presidential statement, which does become part of the council record and is second in importance to a council resolution.

Also Read: Cameroon frees 24 hostages after suspected Boko Haram kidnapping

The statement comes on the eve of Tuesday's meeting in Niger's capital, Niamey, to discuss the regional response to the threat posed by the Islamic militant group, which is expected to include military action.

The council welcomed the meeting and urged regional countries to undertake planning to put into operation a "sustainable, viable and effective" Multinational Joint Task Force to conduct military operations against Boko Haram. It also welcomed last Friday's vote by Chad's National Assembly which authorized Chadian troops and security forces to assist Cameroonian and Nigerian soldiers in the fight against Boko Haram terrorists.

The Security Council demanded that Boko Haram immediately halt all hostilities, disarm and demobilize. And it demanded the immediate release of all those held captive by the group, including the 276 schoolgirls seized in April.

The council warned that some acts by Boko Haram "may account to crimes against humanity" and stressed that those responsible for violations of international human rights and humanitarian law must be held accountable.

The online activist organization Avaaz applauded the Security Council for its statement. The organization had launched a campaign calling on the council to take action on Boko Haram. It said the campaign was supported by more than 725 000 citizens around the world and shared by 50 000 people on Facebook.

Also Read: The questions about Boko Haram in light of the January massacre

"Boko Haram has butchered its way into the global spotlight and finally the Security Council is reacting. Today's presidential statement is a critical start and all eyes are now on Nigeria, its neighbors and the international community to put words into comprehensive action," said Alice Jay, campaign director for Avaaz.

The militant group seeks to impose Islamic Shariah law across Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation with about 170 million people, and it is increasing its territory under a self-proclaimed Islamic caliphate. The group has occupied villages about 250 kilometers (155 miles) from the border between Cameroon and Nigeria.

The Security Council singled out recent suicide bombings, including one which reportedly used a 10-year-old girl.

It also highlighted Boko Haram's seizure of a key military base at Baga, near the border of Cameroon and Chad. As soldiers fled the base on Jan. 3, Boko Haram went on a killing spree, reportedly drowning many in Lake Chad. Death toll estimates range up to 2,000 people, and Amnesty International called it the deadliest massacre in Boko Haram's 5-year insurgency.

- AP


ICPC denies its chairman was sacked

27 October 2016, 10:41

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...