Abuja - The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) on Monday in Abuja expressed displeasure over the killing of some school children in Yobe.
UNICEF said in a statement by its Regional Director for West and Central Africa, Manuel Fontaine, that there was no justification for targeting children and those looking after them.
"As we extend our sympathy to the families of the victims, we would say in the strongest possible terms that there can be no justification for the deliberate targeting of children and those looking after them,” the statements said.
It called on governments at all levels to ensure that those responsible for the dastardly act were brought to book.
The statement noted that 48 students and seven teachers had been killed since June 16 in four separate attacks in the region, and stressed the need for safety in all schools, to prevent future occurrence of such act.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that gunmen suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect on Saturday attacked the Government Secondary School, Mamudo, along the Damaturu-Potiskum highway, killing 24 students, a teacher and an Islamic preacher.
The attacked occurred while the students were asleep.