Ado-Ekiti - The United States has described the recent killing of Nigerians, especially school children, by the Boko Haram insurgents as "senseless."
The U.S Consular-General in Nigeria, Jeffy Hawkins, said this on Tuesday in Ado-Ekiti while addressing newsmen.
He spoke shortly after visiting some aspirants who would participate in the June 21 governorship election in the state.
The envoy said such a development was not good for a country planning to conduct general elections in 2015.
He warned that the activities of the Islamic sect could mar the elections if not checked.
Hawkins said that the American government had already voted $15 million to facilitate the conduct of the elections in Nigeria.
The envoy said that his government was keen to ensure free and credible elections in the country and urged Nigerians to ensure a peaceful outcome.
Hawkins said that his country would monitor Nigeria's electoral umpire to ensure that the June 21 poll in Ekiti and that of Osun scheduled for August were conducted successfully.
He said the war against terrorism and insurgency in the country must be won to enable the country move forward.
For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.