Yobe - The head of the Damaturu Response Office of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Bashir Idris Garga, has provided more details of the deadly explosion in Damaturu.
The twin explosion in the Yobe State capital on Tuesday left at least six people dead.
Garga said the two bomb incidents happened at the Central Motor Park in the centre of the town and at the Pompomari area.
According to him, the bomb incident occurred at about 7:30 am and was caused by a teenage girl that had an improvised explosive device (IED) strapped on her.
Also read: Yobe blast: Pregnant woman among the deceased
“The girl was accosted by those manning the entrance to the motor park and while they were trying to search her she detonated the bomb which had a major impact on an already loaded bus that was taking off. This killed four persons instantly and resulted in the injuring of 22 others, six of which were critical injured," Garga said.
He added that the corpses and the injured had been taken to the General Hospital in Damaturu.
"In the case of the bomb incident at the Pompomari area (Pompomari bye-pass), a naive boy was the courier and was accosted by a man who suspected that he may be carrying an explosive. The man in the process of getting the boy taken to security personnel was bombed along with the boy,” Garga explained.
- CAJ News