Abuja - A seven-month old baby has met her demise after she was burnt to death in a fire incident, Punch reports.
The blaze, which broke out at the Ikota Housing Estate in Lagos, started when the child's mother left her stove unattended while the child was locked in a room.
Although officials from the Lagos Fire Service were called to the scene, there is little they could do to contain the blaze, as the structure had already been gutted.
Also read: Fireman dies, 5 injured as fire razes Onitsha market
Rasak Fadipe, Director of the State fire service, confirmed the incident and said that although firefighters arrived on the scene with 10,000 litres of water, the property had already been extensively damaged.
Fadipe warned the public of the dangers of refuse burning, saying that community members should police each other in order to avoid disaster.
Read more at Punch