Abuja - The Chief Executives of the banks in Nigeria have agreed to suspend the plan mass sack of their workers, reports The Nation.
The decision to halt the mass sack was taken during the Bankers Committee meeting on Thursday in Abuja.
They, however, said they will continue to sack those workers that are found wanting in the system.
Addressing newsmen at the end of the meeting, the Managing Director/CEO of Standard Chartered, Nigeria, Bola Adesola, said they decided to minimise the mass sack of the workers despite the challenges facing the economy.
Adesola according to Punch stated that while the decision to sack bank workers had elicited a lot of sentiments from both the public and private sectors of the economy, the banks understood the implications of having to relieve workers of their jobs in view of the current economic situation in the country.
She noted that mass sacking of workers was not limited to the banking sector.
A total of about 1 400 workers have been sacked between last week Wednesday and now by commercial banks.
Also read: Skye Bank sacks 175 workers
Ecobank Nigeria sacked 1 040 of its employees, while Diamond Bank Plc and Skye Bank also retrenched 200 and 175 members of their workforce.
FBN Holdings, the parent company of First Bank of Nigeria Limited, recently said it would prune the number of its employees by 1,000.
- News 24