Abuja – Boko Haram militants have reportedly said that they are willing to surrender and free the remaining Chibok schoolgirls if they get assurance from the government that they won’t be killed or prosecuted.
The Leadership newspaper, according to Naij, quoted a senior Boko Haram militant, Amir Muhammad Abdullahi as saying that the insurgents were ready to surrender.
"We want to surrender because things are getting worse," Abdullahi was quoted as saying, adding that neither the Nigerian army nor Boko Haram was winning the battle.
The terrorist also indicated that only a third of the girls were alive, while “the rest have been martyred”.
This came as President Muhammadu Buhari said last week that there was fresh hope for the kidnapped Chibok schoolgirls following the recovery of one of them, Amina Ali,19, by the army.
Amina was discovered by civilian vigilantes and troops on Tuesday last week, and her mother, Binta, flew to the capital, Abuja to meet the president at official Aso Rock residence.
- News24 Nigeria