Abuja - The Nation Industrial Court has restrained the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and other labour unions from embarking on their proposed strike on Wednesday.
The Federal Government had on Tuesday dragged the NLC, TUC and their affiliates before the National Industrial Court seeking to stop the looming strike threatened by the Labour group over the fuel pump price increment.
Also read: PHOTO: NLC sends letter to government agencies to shut down on Wednesday
The Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN) was said to have led the federal government's team before the industrial court led by Justice Babatunde Adejumo, the President.
When asked by the presiding judge, how the AGF knew the NLC was planning to go on strike Malami said he saw a statement issued by the labour union on their website and that the statement had been published by the media.
The meeting between the labour unions and the federal government on Monday was deadlocked as both parties refused to shift ground.
The labour unions had asked the federal government to reverse to the old fuel price of N86.50, but the government pleaded with the labour organisations to see reasons with its action and shelve its planned strike, saying it was open to dialogue with the bodies.
In attendance at the meeting were the NLC president Ayuba Wabba; NLC General Secretary, Peter Ozo-Esun; NUPENG president, Igwe Achese; PENGASSAN President, Olabode Johnson; TUC President, Bobboi Kaigama; Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige; Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters (Senate), Senator Ita Enang; and the Edo State Governor, Adams Oshiomhole.
- News 24