Abuja - Aisha Alkali Wakil, one of the suspects the Nigerian Army declared wanted on Sunday for complicity in the abduction of the Chibok schoolgirls in 2014, has accused the Army of “mischief.”
Wakil claimed she had previously approached the military to help secure the freedom of the girls but her offers were spurned.
In a statement issued to journalists on Monday, she agreed to knowing the terrorists but having been "in front fighting for peace" long before Chibok girls were kidnapped.
“Nigerian security knows me too well, I'm not shady. Why declaring me wanted?” she asked.
She disclosed she had meetings with Chief of Army staff but her suggestion on how to ensure the release of the girls were not considered.
Also read:Wanted Salkida speaks out on links to Boko Haram
“I told them the way forward, to allow me come with some commanders of Boko Haram and discuss with them, present the release of CBGs (Chibok
girls) but they chose to do things their own ways only and never gave considerations to any of my suggestions,” she said.
She pleaded her innocence.
“I want to inform the Nigerian people of my innocence and make them realise that I am in constant relation with the security personnel and they know where to find me but wonder why I had to be declared wanted on national news even mentioning my husband's name alongside.”
Wakil said the latest developments had put her immediate and extended family under a lot of pressure.
“I do not deserve this from the Nigerian government. Though they may not appreciate all my efforts to profer peaceful solutions to the menace of bh (Boko Haram), my name should not be mudslinged nor my character defamed.”
- CAJ News