Abuja – Members of the #BringBackOurGirls movement are set to march to the State House on January 14 to express their disgruntlement over President Muhammadu Buhari’s "inaction" in finding the kidnapped Chibok girls, according to reports.
In a statement, the group said it wanted to re-engage with Buhari after it noted with "great dismay” that the issue the kidnapped girls and other citizens in Boko Haram captivity did not feature in the president’s New Year address to the nation, the Sahara Reporters said.
Also read: Nigerian minister claims Boko Haram 'largely' defeated
"The implication of such a deliberate omission is not lost on us," the group was quoted as saying.
The group said it was shocked by the president’s recent declaration during a BBC interview that the terrorists has been “technically defeated”, without referencing the “rescue of our Chibok girls”.
A total of 276 girls were taken from their school in the northeastern town of Chibok in April 2014 by Boko Haram fighters, in a case that made global headlines.
Several dozen girls managed to escape soon afterwards, but nothing has been seen or heard from around 200 of them since a video released in May 2014. This was despite promises made by government that it would rescue the students.
Buhari said during his maiden media chat last week that he had no firm intelligence on where the girls were or the state of their health, adding that his government would negotiate with any "credible" Boko Haram leadership for their release.
The families of the kidnapped Chibok girls, the Chibok community, and sympathisers of the girls who were abducted from Government Secondary School, Chibok, in April 2014, were expected to be part of the march, a report by Premium Times said.