Abuja - President Muhammadu Buhari is disheartened over the
latest bomb blast that killed eight persons on Wednesday in Nigeria’s North
Eastern city of Maiduguri.
Eight people were killed Wednesday when a suspected female
suicide bomber detonated her explosives in a taxi close to a camp housing
displaced people in northeast Nigeria.
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) added that
15 persons were injured and taken to the hospital.
President Buhari, in a condolence message to the families of
the victims, said he is disheartened by the news of the blast.
Also read: Bomb blast hits Maiduguri, scores feared dead
“Unable to hold territory, the severely degraded terrorist
group now occasionally resorts to cowardly attacks on soft targets.
“I commend our military for their unflagging efforts. This
attack has further strengthened our resolve to completely neutralize Boko
Haram.” Buhari said on his twitter handle.
A sustained counter-offensive has seen the Nigerian military
retake swathes of territory from Boko Haram insurgents.
But Boko Haram still poses a security threat to civilians
and has attacked vehicle convoys in recent months.
Last month, six people were killed in an ambush on a
commercial convoy under military escort in the Sanda district of Borno state,
while earlier this year a UN humanitarian convoy travelling by road from Bama
to Maiduguri was ambushed.
At the height of the jihadist insurgency some two years ago,
many roads were closed for safety reasons but have been reopened following a
string of strategic victories over the group.
Boko Haram's seven-year insurgency has left at least 20,000
people dead in Nigeria and border areas of neighbouring Niger, Chad and
Cameroon, and made more than 2.6 million homeless.For
the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us
on Twitter and like our Facebook page.
- News24 Nigeria