Lagos - Human Rights Watch (HRW) has welcomed a
probe ordered by President Muhammadu Buhari into the alleged sexual violations
at some refugee camps in the Borno State.
HRW reported the violations on Monday, fingering government
officials and other authorities in the scandal.
Buhari said he found the report “very distressing” and would
not take the allegations lightly. He said he would act decisively on the
HRW said this was a positive step forward for the women and
“Buhari’s promises are an important move to protect these
women,” HRW stated.
Also read: CPPM demands probe into US allegations of sexual misconduct
The rights group said immediate steps, however, were
necessary to improve support services to the victims of these abuses, and for
rapists to be held accountable for their actions.
“Authorities should also ensure that there is freedom of
movement in the camps, and that enough food, clothing, and basic necessities
reach women and girls to protect them from those who want to exploit them.”
HRW earlier this week reported 43 women and girls living in
seven internally displaced persons camps in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital,
Some were drugged and raped while others were lured through
- CAJ News