Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


CCT denies FG withdrew charges against Orubebe

22 March 2016, 12:33

Abuja - The Code of Conduct Tribunal has denied media reports that the Federal Government has dropped the charge it preferred against a former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Godsday Orubebe.

The  Head, Press and Public Relations of the CCT, Ibraheem Al-hassan, said in a statement that the case was ongoing, contrary to reports  in some newspapers and online platforms indicating that the charge against the former minister had been dropped.

Al-hassan explained that the Federal Government had only at the last proceedings on March 8, substituted the former charges with a new one.

The CCT’s statement read, “Our attention at the Code of Conduct Tribunal has been drawn to recent publications from some sections of mass media, indicating that the Federal Government has withdrawn charges against former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Mr. Godsday Peter Orubebe.

“The tribunal is compelled to refute the said publications, specifically contained in ThisDay and Leadership newspapers and online media, dated March 21, 2016.

Also read: Why FG withdrew case against Orubebe

“The purported withdrawal is said to be based on the case being fundamentally defective.

“Pursuant to the above, the CCT advises that, to the best of our knowledge and based on available records as of the time of this report, the information is misleading, distortive, as such it should be ignored.

“The case of Godsday Peter Orubebe before the CCT in charge N0. CCT/ABJ/02/15 is still ongoing.

“What transpired in court in the last session held on March 8, 2016 was a substitution of the initial charge with a newly filed charge by the prosecution, of which leave was sought from and granted by the tribunal. Thus, there is no withdrawal of the case by the prosecution.”

The Federal Government had on March 8 amended the charges it preferred against Orubebe before the CCT in October last year.

- News 24

Tags cct

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...