Abuja - Former National Security Adviser,
Sambo Dasuki, has vehemently denied the allegations of corruption and illegal
possession of weapons the state has leveled against him.
Commenting for the first time since his travails against
the Department of State Services, Dasuki it back at the “theatrical manner” ,
the Presidency had “fed the public with many allegations against my person and
yet to be named former public officers.”
In a letter made available to CAJ News, he said to draw
sympathy, the Presidency quoted some “absurd findings” including
extra-budgetary interventions; award of fictitious contracts; 53 failed
contracts; payment for jobs without contractual agreements; non-execution of
contracts for the purchase of four Alpha jets, bombs and ammunition.
“For undiscerning Nigerians, they may tend to assume that
the allegations were true and pronounce the former National Security Adviser
guilty as charged,” said Dasuki.
Also Read: Dasuki faults panel's indictment on arms deal
He said the statement issued by the Special Adviser on
Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, “who should know better as a former
President of the Nigerian Guild of Editors and a witness to history”, was
“nothing sort of propaganda” to cast aspersions on Dasuki.
To set the records straight, he said Nigerians should
appreciate that the AVM Jon Ode-led panel did not invite the ex-NSA under any
guise before arriving at its “ambiguous” findings.
“At least, fairness demands that the panel ought to hear
from Dasuki instead of its recourse to hasty conclusions. If the panel had been
more patient and painstaking, it would have been availed of all relevant
documents on some of the jaundiced findings.”
He said as if acting a script, the Presidency alleged
that the panel accused Dasuki of awarding fictitious contracts between March
2012 and March 2015.
Contrary to this claim, Dasuki, said was not the NSA in
March 2012 and he could not have awarded any contract in whatever name.
The ex-NSA was appointed by ex-President Goodluck
Jonathan on June 22 in 2012.
Thus, he said all
contracts and accruing payments were with the approval of the President and
Commander-In-Chief of the Armed Forces. Once the ex-President approved, the
former NSA paid.
He said as such, there was due process for every purchase
in line with regulations guiding arms procurement for the Armed Forces.
“And Nigerians should note that all the services
generated the types of equipment needed, sourced for suppliers most times and
after consideration by the Office of the NSA, the President will approve
application for payment. For sensitive sectors (military/security), there was
no room for awarding fictitious contracts. The conclusions of the panel were
presumptive, baseless and lacked diligence.”
He said it was “laughable” for the panel to assume that
the Alpha jets and helicopters were undelivered.
He cited some letters and memo to back his position.
Also Read: Buhari says Dasuki stole $2B in arms deal
“To show that I have nothing to hide, I submitted a
comprehensive list of all requests for procurements by the services, the items
bought and those equipment being awaited to His Excellency, President Muhammadu
Buhari long before I left office,” said Dasuki.
“If there were issues, I should have been questioned. I
was just the clearing house, I did not award contracts to my company or
proxies. There was no contract awarded or equipment bought without approval
from the then President and Commander-In-Chief. I am not a thief or treasury
looter as being portrayed.”
He said in order not to endanger the nation's security,
there were many salient issues and contracts which he could not put in public
“I am ready for trial on all these allegations in order
to prove to Nigerians that I did nothing untoward in office. We will certainly
meet in court.”
He said he had “a lot to tell Nigerians” but in the
interim, they should not believe some of the allegations.
He concluded by saying as for his tenure as the nation's
NSA, he acted in the interest of the nation and with utmost fear of God. I did
not use the office for any self-serving agenda.
“I occupied the Office of the National Security
Adviser at a difficult moment in Nigerian history when terrorism was at its
peak and I am leaving posterity to judge me accordingly.”
- CAJ News