Abuja - Spokesperson of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Olisa Metuh, has Thursday said that he is ready to return the N400 million received from the office of the National Security Adviser during the Jonathan’s administration, Vanguard reports.
This was made available in a statement by his lawyer, Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN), on Thursday.
Recall that the PDP spokesperson is being tried for allegedly receiving N400 million of government arms money.
Metuh who said that dialogue has been on ground at getting his neck off the anti-graft noose also said that talks with the ministry of Justice, the EFCC and other relevant anti-graft bodies are in place.
Stating the decision of the spokesperson, Ikpeazu said, “In the light of the circumstances regarding the case of our client, Olisa Metuh with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), we want to explain the reasons for our client’s proposal to refund the N400 million released to him by former President Goodluck Jonathan, and which was expended on a project approved by the ex-president on national issues relating to his presidency and the federal government at that time,” the statement read.
News24 had reported last month that his defence counsel revealed that his client has told the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) that he is willing to return the N400m.
The money was said to have been released to him to launder the alleged bad image of former President Goodluck Jonathan a few months to the 2015 presidential election which Jonathan eventually lost.
Also read: Metuh rushed back to national hospital
Metuh is currently being prosecuted by the EFCC for allegedly receiving the money, which the prosecution alleged was collected from the $2.1bn arms funds allegedly diverted by the former NSA’s office to other purposes aside from buying arms to fight insurgency.
- News 24