Abuja - Yinusa, the man who abducted Ese Oruru, is currently in police custody, the Force Public Relations Officer, Bisi Kolawole has confirmed.
Kolawole made the confirmation today at a news briefing held at the force headquarters in Abuja.
The force PRO said at the briefing at which Ese’s mother, Mrs. Rose Oruru, was present that the girl would undergo a comprehensive physical examination.
The father of Ese, Charles Oruru, has blamed the Emir of Kano, Mallam Muhammadu Sanusi II, for his daughter’s plight.
Oruru said Sanusi deserved no credit in the eventual release of Ese “as he only bowed to pressure from Nigerians”.
Ese was taken from Opolo, in the Yenagoa Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, to Kano State by Yunusa, aka Yellow, in August, 2015.
Oruru said, “The Emir did not play any role there. All security agencies in Yenagoa and in Abuja were also part of those who refused to help.
“That is the truth because when we got to Kano, we were told that the Emir had written a letter that the girl should be released on August 26, 2015, and this was not done.
“They wanted to keep the girl in Kano, but the pressure was everywhere after the whole world had heard about the matter, so he knew that if he didn’t release the girl, it would lead to a big problem.”
Sanusi had on Monday refuted claims that he sheltered Ese, saying he had ordered that the girl be taken to her parents since 2015.
The Emir, while speaking at a press conference, in his palace said he got to know that the girl was still in Kano when journalists from the BBC called him.
The Nigeria Police Force has urged journalists to leave the family of Ese Oruru alone and allow them to heal.
The Force Public Relations Officer, Bisi Kolawole, said Ese was undergoing psychological rehabilitation and would no longer need to be in the spotlight.
Kolawole said this during a press conference in Abuja on Monday.
She said the international convention for handling such issues must be adhered to.
The Inspector-General of Police, Solomon Arase, has ordered the set up of a panel of inquiry to find out why the rescue of Ese Oruru was delayed for over five months.
The Force Public Relations Officer, Olabisi Kolawole, said this during a press conference in Abuja on Tuesday.
Kolawole, while briefing reporters, confirmed that Ese’s father, Charles, had reported the matter to the police since August last year but noted that there were delays due to bureaucratic processes.
The mother of Ese Oruru has appreciated the effort made by the media and Nigerians in the rescuing of her daughter who was allegedly kidnapped.
Oruru addressing the press at the Force headquarters in Abuja on Wednesday, said she had been reunited with her daughter and they would be leaving for Yenagoa.
Also read: Ese’s mother arrives at Force headquarters
Governors in both Kano and Delta states have recently called for the immediate prosecution of Ese's abductor, identified as Yunusaa, commonly referred to as Yellow, who forced the girl into marriage and made her convert to Islam.
The abduction has caused condemnation across the country, even spurring a campaign known as #FreeEse.
- News 24