Abuja - The Federal Government has announced that it had no plan to pull out of the International Criminal Court (ICC).
The FG said the court represented the hope and aspirations of millions of people around the world.
South Africa, Gambia and Burundi had last week announced their intention to bow out of ICC.
But the federal government, in a statement on Thursday in Abuja, by the acting spokesperson, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Jane Adams, said the plan by some African countries to leave the ICC was their national decisions.
He further stressed that Nigeria remained a signatory to the Rome Statute adopted on July 17, 1998 and which entered into force on July 1, 2002.
Also read: Burundi formally notifies UN of ICC pullout
It noted that non-membership of the court did not hinder anyone from prosecution, adding that the UN Security Council could refer cases to the court for prosecution.
The government further called on all member-states, who have yet to sign the Rome Statute to consider becoming signatories, stating that it was by working together that they could ensure that the court performed its functions effectively and serve humanity faithfully.
- News 24