Lagos - Mr Rasaq Fadipe, the Director of
Lagos State Fire Service, on Tuesday advised Lagos residents to be mindful of
the danger in storing petrol and combustible substances at homes.
Fadipe, who gave the advice in an interview with the News
Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos, said the advice was timely because of the
harmattan and festive season.
"People should be careful as harmattan period is dusty and
dry; It is the most risky period as little spark could escalate and create
"Fuel scarcity is just artificial and people should not
because of that start to store petrol at homes because it is dangerous,’’ he
Also read: Fire raises 17 houses, bank in Lagos
Fadipe called on landlords and tenants to be concerned about
what is happening in their compound and neighbourhood.
The director also warned against illegal connection of
electricity, saying that this could cause fire outbreaks.
"Do not go to the electric poles to tap light, it is the
job of the officials of electricity companies.
"Shady jobs on electric poles can cause fire as a result of
high voltage,’’ he said.
Fadipe advised people to put their generating sets in open
and airy places.
According to him, if people take the due care, the festive
season would be better and peaceful.
He urged Lagosians to call the fire service whenever they
suspected any fire outbreak.
Fadipe said that the fire service was well equipped and
ready to respond promptly to any distress call.