Abuja – Benue State governor, Samuel Ortom, has reportedly denied reports that he was under any investigation by the Economic Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
Reports on Friday indicated that Ortom had come under the searchlight of the EFCC, following allegations he caused the transfer of the state’s cash amounting to N4.29 billion from banks to unknown recipients.
A Vanguard report said a top official of the commission confirmed that the agency had received two petitions against the governor and some top officials of the administration and had already commenced investigation into the matter.
But, reacting through his media adviser, Ortom rubbished the allegations as false and mischievous.
According to The Leadership, the governor said the allegations were a calculated attempt to tarnish his image and that of his administration.
"The public is to note that no official of the bureau or the executive arm is under investigation by the EFCC or the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, for any reason whatsoever and there is no basis for such. The publications are part of a grand design by those indicted by the Kpojime Commission for looting N107 billion from the coffers of the state who are using part of the resources to fight the Ortom administration," Ortom said.
- News24 Nigeria