Abuja - Members of the Bring Back our Girls (BBOG) organisation were left ruing a missed opportunity after President Muhammadu Buhari reportedly walked out of a meeting with the organisation recently.
The meeting, which was also attended by some parents of the school girls Boko Haram abducted in Chibok in 2014, was held at the Presidential Villa last Thursday.
“Unlike the July 8th engagement where he warmly received us, he (Buhari) seemed angry whilst he reiterated that the government was trying its best,” BBOG stated.
The organisation said after his remarks in English and Hausa, Buhari walked out of the hall without stopping to spend time with the grieving parents who had travelled for two days to meet him.
Also read: 'Buhari didn't storm out of meeting with Chibok parents’
Over 100 parents and Chibok community members joined the march to see Buhari.
“It was a great opportunity for Mr President to show empathy and connect with the Chibok parents, but he didn't.”
Buhari's office denied the reports he stormed out of the meeting.
BBOG noted later in the day, the State House released a statement that the President had ordered a re-investigation into the Chibok abduction.
It said former President Jonathan's administration inaugurated a fact-finding commission that presented a report.
“The content of the report has never been made public and an request for its release has been declined.”
The group also dismissed the government’s position the Boko Haram had been defeated by December 31.
“Where does that leave our Chibok girls and others in captivity?”
Boko Haram abducted the more than 200 schoolgirls at a government school in Chibok, Borno State.
- CAJ News