Abuja- The Controller-General of Prisons, Ahmed Jafa’aru, has ordered the redeployment of the officer in-charge of Kuje Medium Prisons, Musa Tanko, over the escape of two inmates last Friday, Punch reports.
Tanko was directed to report at the Federal Capital Territory Command of the service where he would face a team of investigators.
Another officer was reported to have taken over at the Kuje prisons following Tanko’s redeployment.
Also read: Prisons Service says Kuje prison break an inside job
The Service Public Relations Officer, Francis Enobore, said redeployment cannot be the sanction that would be meted on any indicted officer, noting that the prison management viewed the inmates’ escape as a serious offence that should attract serious sanctions.
News24 previously reported that the Nigerian Prison Service warned staff of repercussions if investigations establish they played a part in the escape of two suspects from a maximum security prison in Abuja.
The duo escaped from the Kuje Medium Security Prison on Saturday evening.
It was initially reported terror mastermind, Charles Okah, had escaped alongside the two but Prisons spokesperson, Francis Enobore, has dismissed the reports.
The two unnamed inmates in question were awaiting trial for culpable homicide.
- News 24