Abuja - The Federal Government on Sunday said that it is "in touch" with Boko Haram over the release of a new video purportedly showing girls kidnapped from the Nigerian town of Chibok two years ago.
"Since this is not the first time we have been contacted over the issue, we want to be doubly sure that those we are in touch with are who they claim to be," Nigerian information minister Lai Mohammed said in a statement.
The video is the latest release from embattled Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, who earlier this month denied claims that he had been replaced as the leader of the jihadist group.
Also read: Saraki wants B'Haram recruitment of IDPs investigated
"They should know that their children are still in our hands," said a man whose face was covered by a turban in the video posted on YouTube.
"There is a number of the girls, about 40 of them, that have been married by the decision of Allah," said the man in the 11-minute video, which shows girls with veils sitting on the ground and standing in the background.
"Some of them have died as a result of aerial bombardment."