Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Nigerian Army yet to pay special snipers trained abroad

09 June 2016, 08:31

Abuja - Reports have emerged indicating that the Nigerian Army has not yet paid salaries to approximately 700 special snipers trained to fight Boko Haram insurgents.

According to a Naij report, soldiers from the Army, police, navy, air force and State Security Service (SSS) were selected and trained for combat within the Armed Forces Special Force (AFSF).

The trainees, flown to Russia and Belarus for orientation, were paid $7,700, which constitutes 30% of their Duty Transport Allowance (DTA, while being promised the other 70% upon their arrival back in Nigeria.

Six months on and the snipers have reported that they have still not received monies due to them by the Army.

Also read: Nigerian Army uncovers fresh plot by Boko Haram

“Up till now, we have not seen anything. We came back December 12, 2015. Till now, I don’t know what they are waiting for.

They didn’t tell us how much the whole money was, but if they can pay you 30%, which was $7,700, then you do the calculation. The remaining percentage that is left, till now, we are yet to see anything and nobody is talking about it,” one of the disgruntled snipers lamented, according to Sahara Reporters.

The soldiers have since expressed their disappointment with police and members of the SSS who undertook training but instead were deployed to Aso Rock, while untrained soldiers were allegedly sent into the Sambisa Forest with trained snipers upon their return to Nigeria.

The snipers have since criticized Government while claiming that they have been ill-treated since their return home.

Read more at Naij

- News24


Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...