Lagos - The Lagos State Police Command has commenced aggressive manhunt for suspected militants who invaded Igbolomu and Ishawo areas of Ikorodu last Friday and unleashed mayhem on residents, Vanguard reports.
The gunmen, who were alleged to be from the Niger Delta, were said to have come in through the waterways close to the communities and started shooting sporadically, a development which led to the death of some people while others sustained various degree of injuries.
Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni, said an aggressive and massive manhunt had already commenced against the suspected militants, adding that the investigation was going on smoothly.
Owoseni, who was personally at the scene of the incident moments after the attack, also denied conflicting media reports as to the actual number of people that were killed by the attackers.
Also read: Lagos militant attack update: 13 feared killed
The CP disclosed that the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of Owutu responded with his men almost immediately after he was alerted, adding that mobile policemen were swiftly deployed to be patrolling the affected areas.
News24 reported that 13 people were feared dead, Friday, during two separate attacks by suspected militants who invaded Elepete community in Igbo-Olomu, Agric area of Ikorodu in Lagos state.
It was gathered that 10 of the victims were killed Thursday night, while the remaining were killed at about 10am.
The first incident occurred at Ola-Imam area of Elepete when the militants allegedly engaged some security volunteers in a battle while the second incident occurred at Phase 1 area.
The attacks were a continuation of reprisal attacks on Elepete and Muti communities by militants which started Monday, as residents deserted the areas.
- News 24