Abuja - No fewer than 12 armed policemen have invaded Julius
Berger Camp in Kubwa, Abuja, to eject 7,000 purportedly disengaged workers from
The Coordinating Secretary of the workers, Mr Gbangbala
Sunday, made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN)
Sunday said that the policemen arrived at the camp on
Tuesday in two buses with registration KWL 233 FP and YAB 944 GW.
He said that the police had been harassing the workers
purportedly laid off by the company in 1999.
A NAN Correspondent, who visited the camp, reports that
efforts to speak with the policemen seen at the camp proved abortive.
Sunday said that the affected workers challenged and won
their purported lay off at the lower court and the Court of Appeal in Kaduna.
He said that the company appealed and the matter was pending
at the Supreme Court.
He said that Julius Berger approached another court which
declined to hear the case because the action was pending at the apex court.
The coordinating secretary said that two eviction notices
from the Chief Magistrates’ Court, Wuse, Abuja dated March 21 and June 13, were
pasted on the quarters.
Also read: US fines Julius Berger for bribing Nigerian government officials
He said the company had on Dec. 13, 2012 wrote a letter for
out-of-court settlement, proposing N30 million as final settlements, which the
The workers reply stated, “our clients have carefully and
dispassionately reviewed your proposal and discovered that your offer of N30
million to put it very mildly, inadequate.
“As same cannot even cover the transportation expenses of
our numerous clients for attending court sessions in respect of the subject.
“It is fundamental to note that our clients have not been
paid any of their entitlements.
“If at all, they even withdraw their pending cases and
appeals, and pretend to accept that they have declared redundant, one may ask,
are they not entitled to some form of terminal benefits?’’
But, Mr Moses Duku, Head, Media Relations Unit of Julius
Berger, denied the invasion.
Duku told NAN that “every morning we use to have brief, but
to the best of my knowledge there is nothing like that, and as the head of the
media relation I should know.
“This place is where our staff has been living since 1999;
my driver who drove me today lives there with his wife and two children.
“Then, how do you think of such a thing. Our company has an
image to protect, we are human, we cannot just wake up and start sacking
Also, DSP Ali John, attached to the Kubwa Area Commander,
said that he had visited the camp and everything seemed to be normal.
John said that even people residing around the area told him
there was no problem.
For the latest on
national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and
like our Facebook page.