Abuja - The Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II has said that virtually all arms of the electricity value chain has been taken away from the control of Babatunde Fashola, the minister of power, works and housing, Daily Post reports.
Sanusi stated this during a stakeholders’ workshop on Road Transport Management and Mass Transit Operations in Nigeria, organised by the Federal Ministry of Transportation in Abuja on Wednesday, July 13.
He said: “Very often in this country, we do not give as much focus as we should to the organic link between the objectives, our strategies, processes, procedures and our results.
“And one example I’ve always given is the power sector in Nigeria. I used to ask this question that, ‘please what really is the Power minister responsible for?’ And it sounds like a silly question.
“But the truth is, I don’t know about now, but as of the time I was in government, could anyone legitimately hold the Power minister responsible for delivering power? The PHCN (Power Holding Company of Nigeria) was privatised by the Bureau of Public Enterprises; the Ministry of Petroleum Resources is responsible for gas; regulation and pricing is done by the NERC (Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission), which is an independent body.
“By the time you took out everything you need in power, the minister has nothing. He controls nothing. The Power minister cannot boast that I will deliver 1 000 megawatts because he can actually build a gas powered turbine and not have the gas. This is because the gas is under the control of a different ministry", he said.
Also read: Senate orders suspension of electricity tariff increase
The Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission has stated that there will be no tariff increase on electricity as previously stated by distribution companies according to News24.
Distribution companies such as Nigeria Electricity Supply Industry are demanding a 100 percent increase in tariffs.
NERC has come out stating that they have not received any request for a 100 percent increase.
- News 24