Ekiti - Affected residents and sympathizers could not hold back tears at the Okesa area of Ado Ekiti, Ekiti state, Thursday, September 15, as government bulldozers demolished more structures, Nation reports.
The demolition exercise which started at about 4.30pm and continued till dusk was personally supervised by Governor Ayo Fayose.
The exercise started at Fajuyi area, where structures including the fence and security post of the state high court complex, Cathedral Church of Emmanuel (Anglican Communion), were marked for demolition.
The affected buildings, including many shops in the Police Officers’ Wives Association (POWA) shopping complex, had been marked for demolition weeks before the exercise commenced according to Naij.
Some of the residents had staged a peaceful protest last Thursday, against the demolition
They said the exercise will render them homeless and turn them to refugees in their home land.
They claimed that they had nowhere to go, accusing the government of reneging on the initial agreement of 15 meter setback. The residents said the government came out with a new benchmark of 30 meters to the main road.
- News 24