Abuja - Tragedy struck the Gaun community of Ogun State on Tuesday when two children burnt to death in a fire that gutted their parents' bungalow.
According to Punch, the incident took place in the evening while the family was preparing for supper.
It is alleged that the first born of the family, Iyanu, tripped over a jerrycan of fuel, spilling its contents into the parlour, which then made contact with a lantern and resulted in an explosion.
Also read: Fire razes 12 shops, 14 rooms in Gombe State
The parents, Iyanu and the second child, Korede were rescued when residents in the area intervened, with the twin children, aged three, burning to death.
"My sister, who didn’t know there was a jerrycan on the floor, tripped over it. My mum then took the mop to clean spilled petrol. She was doing that when the fire started. There were six of us in the house: my dad and mum, my sister, the twins and me," Iyanu revealed to Olisa.tv.
The family is currently receiving treatment at a nearby medical facility, with operatives revealing that they have yet to be informed of the twins' death.
Read more at Punch