Abuja - The United Nations and its partners require some US$ 200 million to carry out emergency responses to the Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria’s Northeast in 2016, a senior official has said.
UN Assistant Secretary-General and Regional Humanitarian Coordinator for the Sahel, Toby Lanzer, disclosed the figures on Friday at the end of a week-long visit to affected areas in Nigeria.
He said the extreme violence in the North-East of Nigeria was the most visible driver of instability and need for emergency relief across the Lake Chad Basin but abject poverty and environmental degradation were the root cause of the crisis that plagues the region.
“The political, environmental and developmental causes of the crisis must be addressed with a renewed sense of urgency,” said Lanzer.
He said in Nigeria’s Adamawa, Borno, Gombe and Yobe States, hundreds of thousands of families had been struck by Boko Haram.
The crisis – which has driven 4 million people into hunger and forced 2.4 million people from their homes – requires a multi-pronged response.
“The international community must work closely with the Nigerian authorities to help millions of people in dire need of protection, as well as food, shelter, and health care. All children require access to quality education,” said Lanzer.
Also read:US recommends measures to eliminate Boko Haram
He said assistance must also be provided to those wishing to return home voluntarily, given that over 200 000 already had already done so.
Lanzer said governments had the essential role in protecting and assisting their people and addressing the underlying issues that have caused human suffering.
“The United Nations in the affected countries will play its part in helping to ensure that people struck by the crisis get the best available help, on time.”
- CAJ News