Benin City - The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said it has lost N100m owing to the postponement of the Edo State governorship election by two weeks, reports Punch.
The election, which was scheduled to hold on Saturday had now been rescheduled to September 28.
The postponement according to News 24 was necessitated following claims by the police and the Department of State Security Service (DSS) that there were plans by extremists and insurgents to disrupt the election and also cause mayhem across the country between September 12 and 13.
They urged the commission to consider the possibility of shifting the election to enable them to deal with the issue of security problems.
Before the cancellation of the election, the commission had deployed 18 511 personnel in the state.
According to INEC’s Deputy Director in charge of Voter Education and Publicity, Nick Dazang, all the officers mobilised for the exercise had been asked to return to their various units and offices.
Also read: #EdoDecides: Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu, others sign peace pact
While the ad hoc workers, who were recruited from the state, were asked to stay behind.
He also said hotels had been booked for officials to enable them perform their duties before the election was cancelled.
He said, “Also, we had moblised (before the cancellation). The cost implication of shifting the election would be huge. We are talking of more than N100m on the part of the commission.
- News 24