Abuja - The nine players dropped from the Flying Eagles squad during their training programme in Europe are expected to leave for their various bases on Monday morning, an official has said.
The team’s media officer, Samm Audu, said in a statement on Sunday that the players would depart the camp after the squad had left France for their training base in Germany.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Nigerian under-20 men football team had been preparing for the upcoming 2013 FIFA under-20 World Cup in Germany.
The squad of 30 players however left Germany for France late last month where the team took part in the Toulon International Tournament.
On Friday, the team’s technical crew picked a final squad of 21 for the global competition scheduled for June 21 to July 13 in Turkey.
"The team for the World Cup is to leave France for Germany where they will continue with preparations till departure for Turkey on June 17.
"The team will leave Marseille in France by Sunday evening for Munich in Germany,’’ Audu said.
He said the dropped players would however remain in France till Monday when they would return to their respective bases.
The players are Sakiru Alimi, Lucky Omeruo, Sebastine Osigwe, Bright Ejike, Jamilu Collins, Hassan Abubakar, Daniel Etor, Samuel Mathias and Oluwasemilogo Ajayi.
Audu said the Flying Eagles had however put their Toulon tournament misadventure behind them to continue preparing for the World Cup.
"On Saturday, the team thrashed French lower league side FC Seynois 4-0 with goals from Moses Orkuma, Olanrewaju Kayode, Umar Aminu and skipper Abduljaleel Ajagun.
The team is due in Turkey on June 17 where they will play their opening World Cup group match four days later against Portugal in Kayseri.
They will also take on Cuba and South Korea in the first round of the tournament.