Zurich - FIFA's director of communications Walter de Gregorio is to relinquish office with immediate effect, though he will continue to serve on a consultancy basis until the end of the year, world soccer's governing body said in a statement on Thursday.
De Gregorio had taken over in September 2011 and had been given free reign to speak on FIFA's behalf, appearing in public debates and on television.
Also read: Swiss seize FIFA computer info
He faced the media alone two weeks ago on the day when seven soccer officials were arrested by Swiss police in the dawn raid on the luxury hotel where FIFA accommodate visiting guests.
He also introduced the news conference on June 2 where FIFA president Sepp Blatter announced that he would step down and call a new election.
De Gregorio was visibly upset and appeared close to tears as Blatter made his speech.
"Walter has worked incredibly hard for the past four years and we are immensely grateful for all he has done. I am glad we will be able to continue to draw on his expertise until the end of the year," FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke said.
De Gregorio was head of sports at Swiss newspaper Blick, and a journalist with SonntagsZeitung and the magazine Weltwoche. (Additional reporting by Katherine Bart; Writing by Mitch Phillips and Brian Homewood, editing by Toby Davis)