Abuja - Wale Adeyinka, the secretary of the national under-13 boys football team, on Wednesday said eight players had been discovered in Ondo State for the team.
Adeyinka said in a statement in Abuja by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) that the discovery officially brought to an end the team’s four-week camping in Akure, the state capital.
"The aim of the exercise was to bring together players of under-13 age category and teach them the basic techniques of football.
"This is necessary as the team is a feeder team to the Golden Eaglets,’’ the statement said.
It also quoted Bekekhimi Idhiarhi, the Ondo State commissioner for youth development and sports, as saying he was delighted with the discovery of players from the state for the team.
"We are happy that our state played host to the future Kanus, Okochas and Mikels of this world and, above all, our sons have been part of the programme,’’ he said.
The statement quoted the commissioner to have also said Governor Olusegun Mimiko was ready to continue to support NFF’s under-13 programme.
It said the under-13/under-15 football development programme was initiated by the NFF in 2008, with players camped every quarter and exposed to both local and international friendly matches.