Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Golden Eaglets tip Germany for World Cup trophy

11 July 2014, 19:20Israel Ojoko

Calabar - Golden Eaglets have overwhelmingly tipped Germany ahead of Argentina to win the Brazil 2014 World Cup on Sunday, following their cruising 7-1 victory over Brazil in the semi-final.

The Final to be played at the imposing Maracana stadium is a repeat of the grueling  1990 encounter between the two countries which was decided courtesy of a 85th minute penalty goal by Germany'  Andreas Brehme as well as the 1986 Final won 3-2 by Argentina.

In a poll conducted amongst the 35 players in camp, 23 players(66 percent) believed the German Machine would  extend their title to four while the  remaining 12 (34 percent) are backing Lionel Messi's Argentina to win a third title since their triumph in 1978 and 1986.

Incidentally, Germany thrashed Argentina 4-0 when both clashed in a quarterfinal match at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa fuelling great expectations on Sunday.

"My money is on Argentina to win because they have shown that they are a complete team since the competition started," said Eaglets defender Jack Ipalibo. "Apart from that, they defended in numbers which makes it difficult for others to score against them but it won't be easy against Germany; yet Argentina would win."

Dayo Femi is leading Germany's cheer group saying the three-time World champions have the best attacking force that would be too hot for the Albiceleste come Sunday.

"We have seen that the most ruthless team at this World Cup is Germany and that is the reason most of us believe they would win on Sunday," he stated. "I'm even tipping Mesut Ozil to nail the Argentines."

But it would be a win-win situation for Golden Eaglets Head coach, Emmanuel Amuneke since his two favourite teams would clash in Sunday's finale.

"All my life, I have supported Argentina and Germany," said the 1994 African Footballer of the Year. "So, I have nothing to lose on Sunday because the two teams have the capacity to win as such, we are going to see a great final match."

For the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and like our Facebook page.

- News24


Musa scores first goal for Leicester

22 October 2016, 20:18

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...