Welcome to News24 Nigeria's LIVE scoring and interactive commentary of the Super Eagles CHAN 2014 encounter against South Africa from the Cape Town stadium in South Africa.
Super Eagles VS South Africa
Updates by Sean Parker
Send your comments/pictures on the match to Sean.Parker@24.com or 'LIKE' us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @News24Nigeria
FULL-TIME NIGERIA 3-0 SOUTH AFRICA
19:48 90th min - Bafana are probing well, this time from a corner. But it's a case of too little, too late.
19:45 87th min - Agbim denies Mashego with an outstanding reflex save , the goalkeeper has put in a performance worthy of a captain, Well done! Keshi knew what he was doing when he kept faith with Agbim.
19:44 86th min - Imenger on for the goalscorer Ede. Keshi
19:41 84th min - Can Nigeria hold on for just over six minutes? Bafana are pressing hard to find a second.
19:39 81st min - GOAL!!!! NIGERIA 3 - 1 SOUTH AFRICA Bernard Parker places the ball to Agbims left and scores a consolation for South Africa.
19:37 80th min - South Africa have been awarded a penalty, after Mashego was brought down in the box. Bernard Parker steps-up. All pressure is on Agbim.
19:34 77th min - Vuyo Mere has been sent-off for Bafana, also for a late challenge. Both teams down to 10 men.
19:31 74th min - Kwambe has been red-carded by the referee.
19:28 71st min Ejike Uzoenyi cracks one against the cross-bar, almost netting the first hat-trick of the tournament.
19:22 63rd min - GOAL!!!!! NIGERIA 3-0 SOUTH AFRICA Ejike Uzoenyi scores his second of the match! Beautiful left-footed strike past Josephs.
19:19 62nd min - Agbim produces a world-class save to deny Mashego!! Wonder what the 'keepers detractors are saying now?
19:15 58th min - Mali has equalised agaisnt Mozambique, which means they will join the Super Eagles in the next round.
19:14 57th min - The game is still being played at a frenetic pace, fast-running and spine-crunching tackles have been the order of the day so far.
19:08 51st min - Ede almost doubled his goal-tally for the night when he dispossessed the defender and side-footed towards goal, but Josephs, who had a calamitous. first half saved well.
19:06 49th min - Kwambe and co are being put under good pressure by the South African's who clearly got some hair-dryer treatment from the bespectacled Igesund in the dressing-room.
19:04 47th min - Bafana have a corner early on, it's lofted into the box but with no immediate danger.
19:02 45th min - Nigeria kick the second half off, as things stand the teams at the Cape Town stadium will move into the next round. Mozambique are currently leading Mali 1-0, at the Athlone stadium.
HALF-TIME SCORE: NIGERIA 2-0 SOUTH AFRICA
18:47 45th min - Three minutes of added-time indicated. Nigeria have a corner.
18:45 45th min - The substitute Mashego has a brilliant chance to score for Bafana just before the break, but he scoops his shot over the cross-bar.
18:38 39th min - Gordon Igesund has replaced Pattison with Mashego, a midfielder for a striker. Keshi's team is in control.
18:34 35th min - This football match is brilliant! Fast, entertaining. As I mentioned in the history between the two teams, Nigeria have beaten South Africa 4-0 on two occasions in the past.
18:31 GOAL!!! NIGERIA 2-0 SOUTH AFRICA Ifeanyi Ede slots the ball past Josephs and the Super Eagles have a comfortable lead.
18:30 31st min - PENALTY TO NIGERIA. Josephs brings down Salami, after fumbling the ball. Yellow-card to Josephs.
18:29 30th min - Pattison brings down a player and the referee blows for a Nigerian free-kick.
18:25 26th min - Ejike , man of the match in the previous game scores an absolute beauty past Josephs, high into the roof of the net. Keshi's men have done what they needed to do: score early and make Bafana chase the game!
18:21 22nd min - GOAL!!!!! NIGERIA 1-0 SOUTH AFRICA! Ejike Uzoenyi opens the scoring!
18:18 19th min - Bafana's pace has rattled the Super Eagles a tad, and they have been guilty of causing niggly fouls. Things are boiling over on the field.
18:17 18th min - Kwambe sends in a floating cross, met by Ede, but it can't get Josephs working.
18:14 14th min - The opening quarter has been surprisingly lively, the home side are not sitting back like many expected them to do. They have taken the game to the Super Eagles. One thing Keshi can be happy about is that his team are yet to conceded in the match.
18:11 12th min - Egwuekwe flashes a shot past the South African goal, but the angle is far too acute to trouble Josephs in goal.
18:08 9th min - Rabiu Ali and Salami will look to keep Moeneeb Josephs on his toes.
18:06 7th min - South Africa have started the game well.
18:05 6th min - Mbatha makes a another stormy run , and Bafana win a free-kick on the edge of the box. Good save by Agbim.
18:03 4th min - The Super Eagles have the territory in the opening stages, Bafana break, the ball gets to Bernard Parker who shoots but Agbim collects easily.
18:01 2nd min - Nigeria has to win this match, while Bafana can sneak through with a draw. Kwambe with the long throw.
18:00 1st min - Agbim collects from a cross on the right.
0 - Nigeria will play left to right, vuvuzela's ring throughout the stadium. South will kick the game off, first a minute of silence for former SA president Nelson Mandela.
0 - An estimated 27 000 fans have packed into the Cape Town stadium on this beautiful Sunday afternoon to watch this mighty clash.
0 - Nigerian national anthem is currently being played.
0 - The teams are walking out onto the pitch and line up. Nigeria in their usual green and white and South Africa in their yellow.
- For both teams this is a must-win match, as loss in this match and a victory for Mali against last-placed Mozambique will mean Nigeria are out of the tournament.
- Despite a shock-loss to Mali in the first match, Nigeria earned a 4-2 victory over Mozambique to keep their hopes alive. Chigozie Agbim has faced criticism from fans in Nigeria for his paltry skills in-front of goal, but coach Stephen Keshi has come to the young 'keepers defence blaming the Cape Town stadium pitch instead.
- If South Africa want to win the match, they need to strike early, like Mali and Mozambique did. The Super Eagles seem vulnerable in the opening periods, and have conceded in the opening 25 minutes on both occasions. They need to be mentally prepared from the get-go in order to put in a solid performance, not one that is patchy.
- The one advantage that Nigeria have, is their physical presence, they are much bigger than the South African team and this might swing the game in the West Africans favour. The host nation is under pressure to do well in a stadium where they usually get well-supported. But will Gordon Igesunds men play for the draw or will Nigeria's hunger spur them onto victory.
Super Eagles:1 Chigozie Agbim, 2 Solomon Kwambe, 4 Ugonna Uzochukwu, 5 Kunle Odunlami, 6 Azubuike Egwuekwe, 7 Ejike Uzoenyi, 8 Rabiu Ali, 9 Gbolahan Salami, 18 Bright Esieme, 19 Abdulahi Shehu, 20 Ifeanyi Ede.
Reserves: 10 Christian Pyagbara, 11 Barnabas Imenger, 12 Aliyu Abubakar, 14 Ikechukwu Gabriel, 15 Zango Umar, 16 Daniel Akpeyi, 17 Chinonso Obiozor, 21 Dele Alampasu, 22 Joshua Obaje, 23 Erhun Obanor.
Bafana Bafana:1 Moeneeb Josephs 11 Vuyo Mere 5 Tebogo Langerman 4 Thabo Nthethe 19 Buhle Mkhwanazi 14 Hlompho Kekana 15 Matthew Pattison 8 Siphiwe Tshabalala 13 Lindokuhle Mbatha 17 Bernard Parker 23 Edward Manqele
- Nigeria and South Africa have met seven times before this Chan 2014 fixture and the hosts have not beaten Nigeria for a decade.
- The teams first met in 1992 , where South Africa right out from were demolished 4-0 from goals by Richard Owubokiri , Samson Siasia and a brace from Rachidi Yekini.
- Bafana has only beaten the Super Eagles once, a friendly international in Johannesburg in 2004. Shaun Bartlett and the diminutive Benedict Vilikazi scored for the home side while Stephen Ayedole Makinwa netted for Nigeria.
- The most recent victories were in the World Cup./ African Cup of Nations qualifiers in 2008, Nigeria won 2-0 at the Abuja stadium in front of 60,000 people and earned a 1-0 win in the return tie in South Africa.