Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Liverpool in approach for Martinez

18 May 2012, 09:00

England - Liverpool were given permission by Wigan Athletic on Thursday to talk to coach Roberto Martinez about becoming the next manager at Anfield, a day after Kenny Dalglish was sacked.

"He's going there with an open mind," Wigan chairman Dave Whelan told Sky Sports News.

"We would love to keep Roberto, he's a great manager. But there are two or three clubs looking for a new manager and Roberto is on the list for all of them. If Liverpool are serious, then we may lose him."

The 38-year-old Martinez left Swansea City to take over at Wigan in 2009 and has been widely praised for keeping the modest Lancashire club in the Premier League.

Wigan stayed in the top flight this season after wins over Liverpool, Arsenal, Manchester United and Newcastle United in their final eight games helped them to a respectable 15th in the league – seven points clear of relegation.

"When Liverpool phoned me I was actually with Roberto having a meeting on what we are doing next season," added Whelan.

"I did promise Roberto and I have always said when a big club comes he would have permission to talk to them and they don't come any bigger than Liverpool.

"I gave him permission and he will be talking to them soon - I don't know when, but quite soon. When Liverpool sacked Kenny I have to say I thought Liverpool would be knocking on the door and sure enough they are."

Dalglish, who had returned for a second stint as manager at Anfield in January last year, paid the price for a dismal season that saw Liverpool finish 37 points behind champions Manchester City.

The Merseyside club's American owners the Fenway Sports Group (FSG) had given Dalglish more than £100 million ($159m) to spend in the transfer market since he took over from the sacked Roy Hodgson in 2011.

But expensive signings such as Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson largely flopped and Liverpool's eighth-place finish was their worst season-ending position for nearly two decades, with their lowest points tally since 1954.

They defeated second-tier Cardiff City on penalties in the League Cup final but lost 2-1 to Chelsea in the FA Cup final earlier this month.

Dalglish voiced his gratitude to fans for their show of support following his dismissal.

In a message on Twitter, he wrote: "Overwhelmed by the support of the fans. Always been special but even more so now. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. YNWA (You'll Never Walk Alone) and I never have."

Earlier on Thursday, the 61-year-old told the Liverpool Echo that fans needed to show support to the club's American owners.

"I would hope nobody would prejudge things now," Dalglish told the Echo. "The owners have their own reasons for doing what they have done.

"They came in to help the club at a time when it wasn't in a great condition. They have improved it, taken it forward and are doing the best they can.

"Liverpool is still a great football club, still a club that should believe in whoever is going to come in after myself.

"The supporters, not just for myself but for everyone else, have always been fantastically supportive of the team and that should not change."

- Sapa / AFP


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...