London - Malky Mackay returned to football on Wednesday when he was appointed as manager of English second-tier strugglers Wigan Athletic.
The 42-year-old Scotsman, who had been out of work since being sacked by Cardiff in December, took over as Wigan, who dismissed former boss Uwe Rosler last week, languish in the bottom three of the Championship.
In August, Mackay found himself having to apologise for allegedly racist, sexist and homophobic text messages, which he admitted were "unacceptable", but Wigan chairman Dave Whelan said now was the time to "move on" from the furore generated by his new manager's comments.
Also read: Bafana youngster wants to crash Eagles for good
"Malky made a mistake, he knows that, we know that and we have discussed this issue at length face to face," said Whelan.
"He apologised publicly for what happened at the time and has paid for what he did in terms of the bad publicity he has received since and will no doubt continue to suffer in the future."
Whelan added: "But I believe that it is now time to move on. Contrary to the way he has been portrayed in recent months, the Malky Mackay I met this week, and who has been vouched for by the many different people from whom we have sought advice before making this appointment, is an honourable man.
"He is a committed family man with decent values and is a professional who has worked and thrived for over 20 years in the multi-cultural world of modern football.
"There is nothing more to say about this subject, and as far as I am concerned we draw a line under it from today."