Marseille - Marseille interim coach Jose Anigo expressed his
shock on Thursday that his club's former star player Samir Nasri had been
snubbed from France's World Cup squad.
The 26-year-old Nasri, who had an outstanding season as
Manchester City won the English Premier League title, was overlooked by France
coach Didier Deschamps.
Deschamps' decision was based on the fact that he didn't
regard Nasri as being a team player, and that the midfielder's performances for
France had not been of the standard of those with his club.
"I don't think it's right. There are always players
with character in the locker room," said Anigo.
"I think Nasri, given his last two seasons, not to take
him, it's weird," said the Marseille coach, who will leave the club at the
end of the season.
"I'm told that this is because he created problems in
the locker room. I'm sorry, but in the France team, I think there are others.
What we want is quality, has he (Nasri)? Yes. Could he go to the World Cup?
Yes," said Anigo.
Anigo has in the past locked horns with Deschamps, when the
France coach was at the helm of Marseille from 2009 to 2012.
Deschamps this week unveiled a preliminary 23-man squad,
with seven reserves, for the World Cup, which did not feature Nasri, who has
won 41 caps, nor Monaco captain Eric Abidal, capped 67 times.
Nasri began his footballing career in his native Marseille
before heading for the English Premier League where he played for Arsenal for
three years before joining Manchester City in 2011.
Nasri said that he was considering his future in
international football after being left out of the French World Cup squad for a
second successive finals.
For the latest on
national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us on Twitter and
like our Facebook page.