Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


UEFA hit City with mega fine

17 May 2014, 09:06

Nyon - UEFA on Friday fined both Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain 60 million and capped their Champions League squad to 21 for falling foul of financial fair play rules.

Newly-crowned English Premier League champions, Manchester City enjoyed a massive spending spree under billionaire owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan of Abu Dhabi.

And French Ligue 1 champions PSG have benefitted from similar investment in top-drawer players after their takeover by Qatar Sports Investments in late 2012.

But both clubs have paid for that with massive fines, 40 million of which will be repaid should the clubs fulfil the "operational and financial measures agreed with the UEFA CFCB (Club Financial Control Body)".

UEFA said other clubs to have failed the financial fairplay rules were Turkish trio Buraspor, Galatasaray and Trabzonspor, Russian sides Zenit St Petersburg, Anzhi Makhachkala and Rubin Kazan, and Levski Sofia from Bulgaria.

City battled UEFA through to the end, saying there had been "a fundamental disagreement" over the interpretation of the FFP regulations on players purchased before 2010 but that it had "decided to enter into a compromise agreement with UEFA".

They agreed, the statement read, to limit their net spending on new players to 60 million.

"The club's expenditure on new players for the upcoming summer transfer window, on top of income from players it might sell, will be limited to 60m. This will have no material impact on the club's planned transfer activity," City said.

"The MCFC Champions League squad for the 2014/15 competition will be limited to 21 players. In 2013/14 the club registered 23 players for the competition and used 21.

"The wage bill of the whole club (playing and non-playing staff) for 2014/15 will need to remain at the same level as that of 2013/14 season.

UEFA's Investigatory Chamber, which led the inquiry, has powers to impose sanctions, including heavy fines and a wage cap on the squads to appear in next season's Champions League.

The sanctions package is understood to be part of a settlement offer to the clubs, which they can accept or reject or try to reach an amicable settlement.

But if a club refuses to comply with the Chamber's ruling, their case would go to a tribunal which would rule on the matter in June.

The sanctions are designed to restrict expenditure on players by clubs who have breached the rules and help them in their efforts to comply with the limits on losses in future seasons.

The ruling came after a week of uncertainty over the timing of the announcement and marked by the sudden death of the man who led the investigation as head of the CFCB, former Belgian prime minister Jean-Luc Dehaene, on Thursday.

Dehaene, 73, had been diagnosed with cancer earlier this year but died after a fall in France.

UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino said on Tuesday at an Executive Committee meeting in Turin, Italy, that delays in announcing punishments for breaches of Financial Fair Play were 'normal'.

"The procedure is clear and is following its course. It is a normal delay due to legal procedures," said Infantino.

"If the decisions have not been taken when the media expected them to be, then it is simply because the procedure is not finished."

The announcement had been expected several days earlier.


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...