Milan - On-loan Barcelona defender Martin Montoya is free to
leave Inter Milan but the Nerazzurri won't be making any new signings in January,
coach Roberto Mancini said.
Montoya admitted his reluctance at joining Inter on a
two-year loan deal in July, when he said he was "sad to be leaving"
the Spanish giants after it became clear his first-team opportunities would be
And six months on, the Barca right-back is stuck in an
The 24-year-old had hoped to relaunch his career but has
made only two appearances for the Nerazzurri so far.
Having made his only other appearance in a pre-season defeat
to Sassuolo, Montoya played on Tuesday as Inter secured their place in the
Italian Cup quarter-finals with a 3-0 win over Cagliari at the San Siro.
Also read: Montoya starts for Barcelona, Luiz on PSG bench
Asked about the player's future at the club, Mancini said:
"I don't know if Montoya will leave in January. He's played and shown he
can do the job.
"Things can change very quickly in football. He's a
good footballer and a good lad. It's up to him if he wants to accept this
situation or look somewhere else where he might play more regularly."
Inter are top of Serie A with a four-point lead over
Fiorentina and Napoli, while champions Juventus and Roma are six and seven
points adrift respectively.
Juve's four-year grip on the league title is under threat
this season, but Mancini has ruled out recuiting during the January transfer
"The squad is complete," added the Italian, who
won seven titles including three consecutive league trophies in his previous
spell in charge at the club from 2004 to 2008.
"I don't think we need to do anything but we do need to
consider if there are players who want to move on so they can play more.
"At the moment there's a very good balance within the
Inter host Lazio, who are 16 points off the pace in 12th, in
their final league game of the year on Sunday.For
the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us
on Twitter and like our Facebook page.