Berlin - Germany winger Marco Reus -- who was fined half a
million euros in 2014 after it emerged he had been driving for years without a
licence -- has finally passed his test.
The 27-year-old sat out June's European championships with a
groin injury as Germany lost to France in the semi-finals, but used his time in
the off-season to swot up on his skills behind the wheel and prepare for the
"Yes, it's true that I've passed my driving test. I am
pleased that this chapter is now closed," the Borussia Dortmund star told
German daily Bild.
Reus, who has won 29 caps for Germany, passed his theory and
practical parts of the test on Monday and picked up his brand-new licence on
the way to training on Tuesday.
Also read: Marco Reus out of Euro 2016, Schweinsteiger in Germany squad
Reus hit the headlines in November 2014 when it emerged he
had been driving for years without a valid licence.
Due to his high salary, he was fined 540,000 euros
($607,859) by the district court in Dortmund after he had submitted a fake
Dutch driving licence when routinely stopped by police.
"I had unfortunately decided to take this path (driving
without a licence) and to this day I can't even understand myself why I did
that," he said in 2014, after also missing the last World Cup with injury.
Having sat out Borussia's 2-0 defeat at home to Bayern
Munich in the German Super Cup on Sunday, Reus is expected to return to
Dortmund training soon, but is set to miss their opening German league match at
home to Mainz on August 27.
Dortmund are back in the Champions League this season after
a year's absence after finishing second to Bayern in the Bundesliga last
the latest on national news, politics, sport, entertainment and more follow us
on Twitter and like our Facebook page.