New York - The UN Ebola chief says US troops being withdrawn from Liberia have done their job of building desperately needed treatment centres but that more than 10 000 American civilians working in West Africa are still essential to combating the deadly disease.
Dr David Nabarro warned in an interview on Wednesday with The Associated Press that the battle against Ebola is far from over, pointing to a disappointing rise in new cases last week in hardest-hit Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.
Also read: Ebola countries miss treatment, burial targets - WHO
He said civilians from the US, Britain, France and elsewhere are still needed to help with tracing Ebola victims' contacts, re-establishing health services and changing behaviour in communities.
The United States announced that only 100 US troops will remain in Liberia after 30 April, down from the 2 800 initially deployed.