Cairo - Two people were killed in clashes between police and demonstrators in Cairo after a court dismissed murder charges against former president Hosni Mubarak, the Health Minstry said early on Sunday.
Nine people were wounded in the unrest that erupted near central Cairo's Tahrir Square, the epicentre of a 2011 uprising against Mubarak, the ministry said.
Hundreds of angry people rallied to the area Saturday shortly after the Cairo Criminal Court dismissed the charges relating to the deaths protesters during the revolt that forced him to resign in 2011.
The court also acquitted Mubarak's interior minister, Habib al-Adly, and several former security chiefs of the same charges.
The Interior Ministry said security forces broke up the rally after demonstrators from the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood fought with other protesters and threw stones at security forces.
Also Read: Gunmen shoot dead Egypt army general in Cairo
Police fired tear gas and arrested dozens of protesters, according to activists and local media.
Authorities had earlier cordoned off Tahrir Square in anticipation of protests by families of the slain demonstrators and revolutionary activists.
Meanwhile, dozens of Mubarak's loyalists gathered outside a military hospital in Cairo where the 86-year-old has been staying to celebrate the verdict. He appeared on the balcony and waved to them.
Mubarak is serving a three-year prison term on a separate corruption conviction.
Since his detention in early 2011, he has spent most of the time in the hospital in the southern Cairo area of Maadi because of frail health.
In 2011, Mubarak was sentenced to life in prison for failing to prevent the killings of protesters, becoming the first Egyptian ruler to be tried and jailed.
In early 2013, the ruling was overturned, and a retrial was ordered.