Beijing - Police
have detained seven employees of China's largest oil refiner, Sinopec,
following last week's oil pipeline blast that killed at least 55 people when it
ripped through residential and commercial roads in an eastern port city.
city employees also were in police custody, according to a statement late
Monday from local authorities.
bodies were found on the scene on Monday, raising the death toll to 55, Qingdao
police said. They said of the 52 confirmed dead earlier, 42 were male. Friday's
blast also injured more than 160 people and left nine others missing.
was the deadliest involving state-owned company Sinopec.
ruptured and leaked for about 15 minutes onto a street and into the sea. Hours
later, the oil caught fire and exploded in two locations, the city government
expansion of petrochemical projects has met with resistance from members of the
public, and Friday's blasts will likely add to growing concern about safety and
apologised on Saturday for the explosions. It said it would investigate and
"give timely reports".