Canberra — Australia has more than doubled its donation to the fight against Ebola is West Africa to 18 million Australian dollars ($16 million), but is resisting demands to send personnel.
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said in a statement Thursday that an additional AU$10 million had been provided in response to a United Nations' appeal.
The Doctors Without Borders group and the Australian opposition party have called on the government to send a medical team to assist in a worsening doctor shortage in West Africa where the worst-ever outbreak of Ebola has killed more than 3 300 people.
Also Read: UN worker dies of suspected Ebola in Liberia
The Australian charity Save the Children on Thursday called on Australia to send troops.
But Bishop says Australia does not have the capacity to evacuate any Australian who became sick.