Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Australian police arrest 2 in anti-terror raids

24 December 2014, 11:55

Sydney - An Australian man was charged on Wednesday with possessing documents connected to a planned terrorist attack on government targets in Sydney as police insisted people should not be afraid.

Sulayman Khalid, aged 20, was arrested following raids last week which uncovered a large number of documents, a rifle, and two shotguns.

He was charged with being in "possession of documents designed to facilitate a terrorist attack", while a 21-year-old was accused of breaching a control order issued by a judge.

Their arrests come on the back of a series of pre-dawn raids across Sydney and Brisbane in September as concern mounts about the flow of people to Iraq and Syria to join the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) group and other jihadists.

Also Read:Memorial services held for Sydney siege victims

After that operation, police said they had foiled a plot to "commit violent acts" in Australia, including a plan to behead a member of the public.

More than 70 Australians are currently fighting for Islamic militants overseas. At least 20 have died and there are fears that increasing numbers of youths are being radicalised and could mount attacks at home.

"Certainly the documents talked a little bit about potential government targets," said Australian federal police deputy commissioner for national security Michael Phelan.

He said the targets were in Sydney, but did not go into detail.

'Terrorist chatter'

"I am confident that we've disrupted the activity that they were planning. And that is all I'm prepared to say at this particular point."

Khalid was remanded in custody and will face court again in February. The second man has yet to appear in court.

The arrests follow warnings on Tuesday by Prime Minister Tony Abbott of heightened "terrorist chatter" in the aftermath of a fatal cafe siege in Sydney's financial hub last week.

Iranian-born gunman Man Haron Monis, who had a history of extremism and violence, took 17 hostages in the city's financial heartland, unveiling an Islamic flag.

He was killed as armed police stormed the eatery after 16 hours. Two hostages also died -- mother-of-three Katrina Dawson, 38, and 34-year-old Lindt cafe manager Tori Johnson -- while several were injured.

"A briefing from the security agencies today indicated that there has been a heightened level of terrorist chatter in the aftermath of the Martin Place siege," Abbott said Tuesday.

"That's why it's important that people remain alert and aware as well as reassured that our police and security agencies are doing everything they humanly can to keep us safe."

Ideology linked to IS

Australia has not officially branded the Sydney siege a terrorist attack and Abbott declined to speculate on any potential new threat.

Phelan said police had been monitoring a particular group of between 15 and 20 people with 11 of them charged since the September raids, some for "serious terrorism offences".

"It is a group of people here in Sydney that we've been actively monitoring for a long period of time now and any action they take we want to try to get ahead of them," he said.

Asked if they had a name, he replied: "No. Certainly their ideology is linked to ISIS overseas."

Also Read: Court orders partner of Sydney hostage-taker jailed

Phelan added that they had no direct link with Monis but "certainly since the tragic events of last week, this group had ongoing conversations and activity".

Australia raised its threat level to high in September, which means an attack is likely.

New South Wales police deputy commissioner Catherine Burn stressed people should not be afraid.

"This should not disrupt our way of life in any measure at all," she said.

"We're clearly vigilant and everybody should be vigilant. However, I think that the activity that we have undertaken has put us in a very, very good position."

Following the cafe siege, security across Sydney was stepped up with hundreds more officers on the streets.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...