Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Brazil club owner surrenders to police

29 January 2013, 08:17

Santa Maria - Police in Brazil arrested four suspects on Monday after a nightclub fire killed 231, left dozens more clinging to life, and forced officials to defend readiness for the Olympics and World Cup.

Two owners of the Kiss club were arrested, along with a pair of musicians who starred in the ill-fated pyrotechnic show blamed for sparking Sunday's tragedy in the university town of Santa Maria in the south of the country.

President Dilma Rousseff pressed mayors across the massive South American nation to ensure that such a "terrible tragedy never takes place again".

The president, who rushed back from a regional summit in Chile to meet with grieving families, called the pain she had witnessed "indescribable".

The inferno, described as the second worst in Brazilian history, forced the cancellation of an event to mark the run-up to the country's hosting of next year's football World Cup, the biggest global sporting event.

The fire broke out at around 02:00 (0400 GMT) on Sunday in the club, which was packed with students. Survivors said the band's vocalist lit a firework that may have triggered the blaze.

No valid operating permits

While friends and family members bid farewell to their loved ones, officials revised the death toll down from 233 to 231. Health Minister Alexandre Padilha said 75 more were in "intensive care... and are in some danger of dying".

"We think the most plausible cause of the fire were the pyrotechnics used by the band, which released sparks and set the roof alight," Police Commissioner Sandro Meinerz said.

As distraught mourners laid wreaths outside the scene, police official Michele Vimmermann said club co-owner Elissandro Spohr and two members of the Gurizada Fandangueira band had been detained.

A second club owner, who has not been named, surrendered to police later in the day.

Meinerz said the club had not had valid operating permits since August and that its emergency exits led only to the main entrance, which became a deadly bottleneck.

Most of the victims died of smoke inhalation in their desperate bid to escape.

Band denies responsibility

In a statement to police, Spohr acknowledged that the club's license had expired, adding he had requested a renewal. He also blamed the band for the incident, according to the Globo G1 website.

The band however denied responsibility and said their accordion player was among the dead.

"We want justice, we're not to blame for anything," band member Rodrigo Lemos Martins told G1.

Spohr denied witness accounts that he had ordered security guards to block the club's exit and that he had removed a computer - which Meinerz said had disappeared - with security camera footage.

As dawn broke, mass wakes for 24 of the dead were held at the town's sports centre. As a sombre silence hung over the gym, the family of Luis Dias Oliveira draped a flag over his coffin, their eyes swollen and red from crying.

In one of the many urns were the ashes of Joao Carlos Barellos da Silva, who ran a website about the parties at the club. His lifeless body was found in a restroom.

Demand for justice

"He was a wonderful son. I have never felt such pain," said his mother, Gelsa Ina Barcelos.

Like Da Silva, about 180 people perished in the restrooms, suffocating amid the chaos as they tried to find the exits, according to military police captain Edi Paulo Garcia.

At a cemetery in Santa Maria, Juliana was in a state of disbelief as she attended the burial of her brother, Heitor Oliveira, saying: "Why? Why?"

Later, thousands of people marched in silence through Santa Maria, demanding justice for the dead.

"I know that my daughter isn't coming back. But somebody has to pay for this," said marcher Jorge Neves, who lost his daughter Rafaella.

In Brasilia, authorities called off a planned event dubbed "500 Days until the World Cup", but the secretary general of football's governing body FIFA, Jerome Valcke, insisted security plans were on track for the event.

Plans in place

"What happened is the most horrible thing that can happen," Valcke told reporters.

"However, it has nothing to do with the security within the stadiums," he said, ahead of the Confederations Cup to be held June 15-30 and next year's World Cup.

"We have an emergency plan in place to evacuate a full stadium within eight minutes," he added.

A spokesperson for the International Olympic Committee said: "We do not doubt that Rio 2016 will offer a secure environment for the fans, athletes and those working for the Games."

Brazil is scheduled to host the Summer Games in August 2016.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...