Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.


Cockroach-eating champ choked to death

27 November 2012, 11:19

Miami — A Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live cockroaches to win a contest earlier this year in which the grand prize was a python, according to an autopsy released on Monday.

Edward Archbold, aged 32, of West Palm Beach died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents", according to the report released by the Broward County medical examiner's office. It said his airway was obstructed by the cockroach body parts, which caused him to not be able to breathe.

"There is a flap called the epiglottis that is supposed to stop objects from going into the lungs," medical examiner Craig T Mallak wrote in an e-mail to the AP. "Unfortunately, it doesn't always work. In the video you could see him trying to swallow and breathe at the same time. We can't do both simultaneously."

Lab tests for drugs came back negative. The death has been ruled an accident.

"It's hard to even think about it," said Kim Crawford, co-owner of Busch Canvas & Interiors where Archbold worked for four years. "It does bring a little closure because not knowing always puts that question mark out there."


Crawford described Archbold as a "smart, good guy" who was "really good friends to people". She said a photo of Archbold and news clippings of the accident still hang in the main office.

"It's just a tragedy."

Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in the 6 October contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 64km north of Miami.

Messages left with the store's owner and his attorney were not immediately returned.

Archbold became ill shortly after winning the contest and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

About 30 people ate the insects, but authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.

- AP

Tags usa

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Nigeria @ 56: Words to my green f...

A leader’s job is not to dictate, but rather to be respected, admired and be a trustee, of the land we love, with so much potential, a land which should be freer than free. Its still a long way to fufilling our destiny! Read more...

Submitted by
Isaac Asabor263
Recession: An opportunity for Nig...

The recession should be seen as an opportunity for the country’s promotion as long as we all collectively conduct ourselves in a patriotic manner, writes Isaac Asabor.  Read more...

Submitted by
Black and White

We want to imitate the whites in everything because we are ignorant of our inherent originality and content. We spend all our Naira to acquire his inventions because we so oblivious of our natural endowments that we allow him have it for free. Read more...

Submitted by
Nate Nat
Adamawa State University Mubi: A ...

ADSU integrity forum has accused the Sunday Joshua Wugira, a lawyer, of adopting unorthodox tactics by abusing his privilege by attacking the integrity of ADSU Vice Chancellor Dr. Moses Zira Zaruwa, writes a News24 reader. Read more...

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
My Country Nigeria (Part One)

Poetry by Abdulsalam Jubril.

Submitted by
Abdulsalam Jubril
Recession, dearth in leadership a...

Every leader has the opportunity to become great and making himself immortal in the lives and hearts of people for generations to come. Will Mr. President seize this opportunity?, questions Abdulsalam Jubril. Read more...