Cape Town – The Ebola outbreak in West Africa is set to get worse, a top US public health official has reportedly said.
According to a BBC, Tom Frieden, the director of the Centres for Disease Control, said the epidemic would need an "unprecedented" response to bring it under control.
Frieden said the world had never seen an outbreak like this, adding that figures had been underestimated, Al Jazeera added.
Also Read: Ebola causing huge damage to W.Africa economies
The report comes as the medical aid organisation Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) warned on Wednesday that the international response to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa was "chaotic and entirely inadequate".
MSF, according to a SAPA report said it was unacceptable that, five months after the declaration of this Ebola outbreak, serious discussions were only starting now.
The Ebola death toll across West Africa had risen to 1 427 by 23 August, according to the WHO, with a total of 2 615 suspected or confirmed cases in the region.
Ebola causes massive haemorrhaging and has a fatality rate of up to 90%. The disease is transmitted through contact with blood and other bodily fluids.